Churches and Chapels
King's College Chapel
King’s College Chapel is a masterpiece of English craftsmanship. It’s part of one of the oldest Cambridge colleges sharing a wonderful sense of history and tradition with the rest of the University.
It was founded by Henry VI in 1441, and includes an elaborate fan-vault ceiling, magnificent stained-glass windows and Ruben's masterpiece, The Adoration of the Magi. Visit King’s College Chapel and you’ll also see an exhibition in the northern side chapels which shows why and how the chapel was built in pictures, works of art and models.
St Bene’t’s Church
The tower of the church is the oldest building in the County of Cambridgeshire, dating back to around 1020 and is a fine example of Anglo Saxon architecture known as long and short work.
Fabian Stedman used the bells of the church to develop Change Ringing. The church used to serve as the chapel of nearby Corpus Christi College and there is still a passageway linking the two.
The Round Church
The Round Church or Church of the Holy Sepulchre is one of only 5 surviving round churches in England. It was thought to have been built by returning crusaders and based on Christ’s tomb in Jerusalem. The Church was built in the early 1200’s, is Romanesque in style with later changes made in the 1800’s
The Leper Chapel
One of the County’s finest examples of Norman Architecture also know and St Mary Magdalene Chapel or Stourbridge Chapel. It was the chapel of the Leper Hospital which stood on Stourbridge Common and held the licence to the world famous ~(in medieval times) Stourbridge Fair
St Botolph’s Church
Dating back to the 1300’s St Botolph’s stands by the site Trumpington Gate, one of two gateways to the medieval town of Cambridge. St Botolph was a patron saint of travellers and prayers were said in the church before journeys were undertaken and thanks were given after a safe journey was completed.
St Edward King and Martyr Church
Thought to have Anglo Saxon origins although the earliest part of the Church dates back to around 1200. Used by Clare College and Trinity Hall before each College had it’s own Chapel.
The church played a unique role in the early days of the English Reformation. A group of evangelicals had been meeting regularly in the early 1520s. It was here the reformed Gospel was first preached. The sermons and pulpits used by reformers such as Hugh Latimer are still to be seen.
St Peter’s Church
Cambridge’s smallest church dates from the 12th Century with later alterations. Houses a font from the 1100’s.
St Mary The Less (Little St Mary’s)
Originally known as St Peter-without-Trumpington-Gate and thought to have Anglo Saxon origins, the church was re-built in the early 1300’s and re-dedicated to St Mary. It gave it’s name to the first College in Cambridge, Peterhouse which used the Church as it’s chapel. George Washington’s Uncle, Godfrey Washington was once the vicar and his memorial, bearing and eagle, stars and stripes, can be found inside the church.
St Mary the Great (Great St Mary’s)
Known as the University Church with origins dating back to at least 1205 the current church was rebuilt around 1478. The University Chest was kept at the church and graduations ceremonies were also held here. All distances to Cambridge are measured to the church, and the University sermon is preached here.
The tower is open to visitors and affords a wonderful view over central Cambridge.
All Saints Church
Built by GF Bodley in the 1860’s to replace the church opposite St John’s which was demolished to widen the road.
A wonderful example of Gothic revival the beautifully decorated interior has work by Kempe, William Morris, Burne-Jones and Ford Maddox Brown.