Cambridge American Cemetery & Memorial
Cemetery / Mausoleum
The Cambridge American Cemetery is the only American WW2 cemetery in the United Kingdom. It is one of 25 overseas American cemeteries administered by the American Battle Monuments Commission, the smallest independent executive agency of the American Government.
The cemetery was first opened on 7th December 1943 as one of three temporary American cemeteries in the United Kingdom. After the war, on land donated by the University of Cambridge, it was chosen as the only permanent World War II American cemetery in Britain. It is the final resting place of 3,812 men and women who gave their lives in the Battle of the Atlantic, the strategic bombing campaign over Europe, those who died in the invasion of Europe and who were killed in training exercises on British soil. The lives of another 5,127 men and women whose bodies were never recovered are commemorated on a Wall of the Missing.
The cemetery is not just a place where men and women are buried. It combines art, landscape and symbolism in a way rarely found elsewhere in this country. Built on a gentle slope overlooking the flat area to the north of Cambridge if affords fine views over the countryside including that of Ely Cathedral over seventeen miles away.
The flag pole at the cemetery is a good point of orientation for the visitor. From there it is possible to view the entire site. Fan shaped burial plots radiate like the spokes of a wheel. Three reflecting pools, reminiscent of the Mall in Washington, and flanking the Wall of the Missing, lead to the Memorial Building. Inside the Memorial notable features include a mosaic ceiling, stained-glass windows commemorating every US state and a large map detailing the Battle of the Atlantic and the air campaign fought in the skies over occupied Europe.
Set in the wooded area at the west of the site, the 'Visitor Center' opened in May 2014. It uses interpretive displays, photographs, film and interactive kiosks to chronicle the 'friendly invasion' by American personnel over the war years. This facility greatly enhances the visitor experience - telling the stories of those commemorated in the cemetery - and staff are on hand to answer any questions.
|Opening Times (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
* Closed Christmas Day & New Years Day.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
Entry to Cambridge American Cemetery, Memorial Building and Visitor Center is FREE. All visitor services, including group tours are FREE.
Here at ICE we offer a wide range of part-time and short courses in and...0.87 miles away
The first women's college in Cambridge, Girton was founded by Emily Davies...1.52 miles away
Girton College has an extremely unusual Egyptian mummy called Hermione,...1.52 miles away
The Cavendish Laboratory was founded in the late 19th century, with a...1.72 miles away
Named after Sir Winston Churchill, the college was founded in 1960 with...2.1 miles away
The college foundation buildings were designed by architect Sir Denys...2.15 miles away
Day tour of Suffolk wool towns and villages. The tour runs on Thursdays...2.27 miles away
Murray Edwards College (formerly New Hall) was founded as an all women's...2.33 miles away
The New Hall Art Collection is a permanent collection of contemporary art...2.33 miles away
The youngest of Cambridge University's 31 colleges, Robinson was founded...2.35 miles away
Clare Hall is one of five graduate colleges in Cambridge.
Founded in 1966...2.37 miles away
Wolfson is one of five graduate colleges in Cambridge.2.37 miles away
CURUFC is a wholly amateur student rugby club aiming to offer a rugby...2.39 miles away
The University Library is a copyright library, it holds over 7 million...2.4 miles away
Founded in 1965, Lucy Cavendish was Britain's first college for mature...2.42 miles away
The college was founded in 1882 in memory of George Augustus Selwyn, who...2.44 miles away